Friday, 7 February 2014

more sheepskin 'head trip' news

well its been a bust few weeks with sewing ! ....

Have completed a custom made hood ( featured in an earlier post ...) ... this was a development of a previous design - and has the addition of 4 grommet breathing holes ... making this a good candidate for longer term wear .
The sheepskin has incredibly thick fur ( almost 4 inches !!! )
... I have also got the ability to make locking straps now - so this hood gets that also ...

... sadly - the person who wanted this hood has now changed their mind ... so this either adds to my collection ... or happy to sell it to a good home ;) ... drop me a note if thats you !

Next hood underway - this one is from my earlier design - its a looser fitting hood style - but I just LOVE the sheepskin I've found for this one ( currently making two - one in white and this one )

 The pattern cut out ....

 Sewing iunderway ( ..ouch - sore fingers ...)


AND .... at last I have made tome to compete the fur lining of my head box. This now has thick sheepskin totally enclosing the head - when locked in you can feel the fur all over ... with of course no way to avoid it - and no way out until your released :)






14 comments:

  1. Really cool stuff. Unfortunately I move to Lateinamerika Latin America next month and I do not want to explain such hood at the immigration, so I am currently not able to make you an offer.
    Please keep on blogging, I really enjoy your posts.

    cheers

    observer1

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want the hood and the head box! Can we work out a deal?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry for the delayed reply :) ... be delighted to do another hood for you like that one .. the postage for the box may be a problem though !! - its about 10kg !

      Delete
    2. Well, have you given any more consideration to my suit? Maybe we could work these as part of the payment on it. I'd consider a reasonable offer including these. What do you think?

      Delete
  3. Do you have a pic of the head box in use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i dont - but i will get some done and post :)

      Delete
  4. I've been trying to figure out how to use the head box with my steel erector set. I think it should be possible to attach it securely with some sort of fasteners. I was wondering what the dark spot in the top of the box is? Looks like there is no sheepskin there either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. at the top of the box there is a fixture that allows a gas mask tube to be screwed to a flange at the top of the box :O) ... for very long term wear

      Delete
    2. Oh My!!!! What a great idea.

      Delete
  5. love the new hood and the head box. I am very envious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How did you fasten the sheepskin to the wood in the head box?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its that wonderful copydex glue - no odour once set .... are you thinking of making one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I acquired the wood box parts yesterday and already had the hinges and hasp. I still have to see if I have appropriate sheepskin to line it with. I have some fabric glue that seems to work well on the sheepskin, but I don't know if it will hold the skin to wood. I'll have to experiment ;-) Will be posting my progress on my Tumblr, so stay tuned.

      Delete